How to get to Grahamstown?
1. The last time we visited, we flew with British Airways from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth. Then a family member picked us up from the airport. I guess you can also take cab from the airport. The travel time from the port city of Port Elizabeth is a 90 minute drive along a scenic coastal highway.
1. FORT SELWYN overlooking Grahamstown
2. The 1820 Settler Monument
3. Rhodes University
4. The High Street in Grahamstown
5. Methodist Church
The balcony of the Commemoration Methodist Church, with engravings from the many bored school pupils who sat in the galleries during services. Some of the pupils’ wood engravings date back to the 1800s and show that pupil vandalism is not a new feature of the youth!
6. The Cathedral of St. Michael and St. George on the High Street of the City
It is believed that the cathedral is situated on the spot where the founder of the city, Lieutenant-Colonel John Graham, first planned the layout whilst sitting under a tree. the wonderful wide streets of this old city are purposefully extra wide to accommodate the old ox-wagons that would have to turn in the streets.
7. WAAINEK WIND FARM
8. Artificers’ Square
These historical original settler cottages have been preserved as they were when the city was established.