People always said that “In the beginning there was no Philippines but there was BUTUAN”. And that’s what I decided to make a trip to this place to learn about the history and other tourist destinations in Butuan City.
BUTUAN or what they sometimes call BXU is a city full of history and culture. I explore places not just for it’s beauty but I am also very interested about the history of a place. Butuan was once mentioned in the history book that I used for my students and from that moment, I decided that I must visit Butuan and explore it myself.
Best place to stay in Butuan
Another place you can stay in Butuan is BUTUAN GRAND PALACE HOTEL. Since I was travelling alone, I have no clue how to get to these places. So the first thing I did was to go to the City Tourism Office located at the Butuan City Hall. Cathy from the City Tourism Office gave me a nice brochure with the different places to visit and also a map where they are located.
How to get a Habal Habal Tour in Butuan City
I also asked them what is the best way to go around since I was by myself. They told me to take one of the Habal-Habal found at the corner of LIBERTAD. I told the jeepney driver to take me to the CORNER OF BONBON CLOSE TO THE SPORTS COMPLEX. From there, there were so many habal-habal drivers ready to take everyone for a tour. I got one for Php 700.00 for the whole day!
1. BUTUAN NATIONAL MUSEUM – Barangay Doongan
2. BEQUIBEL SHELL MIDDEN – Barangay BonBon
3. BALANGAY NATIONAL MUSEUM – Paradise, Barangay Libertad
4. BOOD (BUD) PROMONTORY & ECO-PARK – Barangay Pinamanculan
5. MAGELLAN’S ANCHORAGE – Barangay Masao
6. BALANGAY BOAT BUILDING SITE – Luna Compound, Brgy. Bading, Butuan City
7. GUINGONA PARK – Between E Luna and A.D. Curato Sts. and J.C. Aquino Ave.
8. ST. JOSEPH CATHEDRAL – E Luna St.
9. BUTUAN CHURCH RUINS – Lilo, Barangay Banza
10. SNACK BREAK -Buenavista
11. MADYAW KADYAW SOUVENIR SHOP – JC Aquino Ave.
12. WEEGOL’S – Montilla Boulevard
I am glad, I was able to explore Butuan City. I hope people would not just think of Butuan as a stop over from different destinations surrounding the province. I hope through this, people would really stop, stay and explore why Butuan is also great destination to visit in the Philippines!